The Knights Templar of Lincolnshire had a long and illustrious history. Their presence in the county dates back to the early 12th century when they first established their headquarters at Temple Bruer. They were a powerful religious order, committed to defending Christendom and protecting pilgrims on their journeys to the Holy Land. While their order was eventually disbanded in 1312, the legacy of the Knights Templar continues today in Lincolnshire, with many historical sites still standing as reminders of their presence. This article will explore the history of the Knights Templar in Lincolnshire and look at the lasting impact they had on the county.The Knights Templar, a medieval military order, had an important presence in Lincolnshire, England. The Templars were formed in the early 12th century and initially focused on protecting pilgrims travelling to Jerusalem. In 1136 they were granted land in Lincolnshire by King Stephen who was keen to have them take up residence in the area.
This land was part of a grant of lands given to the order by King Henry I in 1131. The Templars had their own landholdings and estates which included some of the most fertile lands in Lincolnshire as well as other properties like castles and churches.
The Templars played a significant role in the region for centuries, taking part in many military campaigns and battles as well as providing spiritual guidance and protection to local communities. They also had a great impact on the economy, creating vibrant markets and commercial centres that helped to bring prosperity to the area.
In 1308, however, Pope Clement V ordered all Knights Templar arrested for heresy and their property confiscated by the Church. This meant that all of their possessions in Lincolnshire were taken away from them, including their manors, churches and castles which were then given back to local lords or used for other purposes.
Despite this setback, there are still many reminders of the Knights Templar’s presence in Lincolnshire today. Some surviving buildings from this period include St Botolph’s Church near Boston which still has evidence of Templar ownership and their coat of arms displayed prominently over its entrance. There are also various buildings around Lincoln such as Lincoln Castle which were formerly owned by the Templars or built with help from them during their time there.
Origin of the Knights Templar in Lincolnshire
The Knights Templar was a religious order of knights founded in the early 12th century. They were dedicated to protecting Christian pilgrims on their way to the Holy Land and were renowned for their courage and bravery. The order was based in Lincolnshire, England and is believed to have been established by Hugh de Payns, a Norman knight. The Templars were affiliated with the Cistercian Order, which was founded by St Bernard of Clairvaux, who was an important figure in the development of the Crusades.
The Templars had a unique organizational structure that included both military and religious aspects, with each member taking vows of poverty, chastity and obedience. They also had a strong reputation for being well-trained warriors who fought bravely against their enemies. During their time in Lincolnshire, they established several monasteries and castles throughout the region, which served as bases for their operations. These fortifications helped protect pilgrims from bandits and other dangers as they made their way to Jerusalem.
The Templars’ influence extended far beyond Lincolnshire to other parts of England and even Europe. Their presence helped to strengthen trade routes between England and other countries as well as providing protection from outside threats. They also played an important role in developing banking practices that would later be adopted by many European nations.
Despite their prominence in European society, the Templars eventually fell out of favor due to accusations of heresy leveled against them by King Philip IV of France. In 1312, Pope Clement V disbanded the Order and its members were arrested and executed or banished from Europe. Although there are no longer any active members of the Knights Templar today, they remain one of the most iconic orders of knights in history due to their courage and dedication to protecting Christian pilgrims on their journey to Jerusalem.
The Role of the Knights Templar in Lincolnshire
The Knights Templar were a powerful military order that had a profound impact on the history of Lincolnshire. They were active in the region from the late 11th century to the early 13th century and played an important role in defending England from foreign invaders. During this period, they built a number of castles and other fortifications, as well as providing protection for local people from bandits and raiding forces. They also provided military training to local people, so they could better defend themselves against attack.
The Knights Templar had a major influence on the political structure of Lincolnshire during their time in the region. They helped to create a strong feudal system, which allowed them to maintain control over large areas of land and increase their power and influence. In addition, they played an important role in promoting religious piety, establishing churches and monasteries throughout the county.
The Knights Templar also had a major impact on the economy of Lincolnshire during their time there. They owned vast tracts of land throughout the county, which provided them with income through rents and taxes collected from those who lived there. Furthermore, they provided loans to local people to help them grow their businesses and improve their standard of living. In addition, they established markets throughout Lincolnshire which allowed local farmers and merchants to sell their goods at competitive prices. These markets also helped encourage trade between different parts of England and beyond.
The Knights Templar were eventually disbanded by King Edward II in 1312, but their legacy can still be seen today in many parts of Lincolnshire. Their castles remain standing as reminders of their time there, while churches built by them can still be found across the county. Their impact on politics, religion and economics is still felt today in many ways – not least through the legacy of strong feudal systems that have endured across Europe for centuries afterwards.
Relationship between the Knights Templar and other Societies in Lincolnshire
The Knights Templar was a religious and military order established during the 12th century to protect pilgrims travelling to the Holy Land. The order was powerful in England, particularly in Lincolnshire, where it held extensive properties and influence. During this time, the Templars had close ties with other religious and military organisations such as the Knights Hospitaller, the Order of St John of Jerusalem and the Teutonic Knights.
In addition, they were closely linked with a number of religious societies in Lincolnshire such as the Gilbertine Order, Hospitallers of St Mary Magdalene at Sleaford, and many other fraternities. These societies provided support to each other through shared resources and mutual protection.
Members of these societies often joined forces to protect their interests or take part in campaigns against enemies of Christendom. This was particularly evident during the Crusades when members of these orders would often fight side by side against Muslim forces.
The Templars also had strong relationships with local landowners and powerful families in Lincolnshire. These connections allowed them access to land, resources and influence that they would not have had otherwise. This enabled them to further expand their power and influence throughout England.
The Knights Templar’s relationship with other societies in Lincolnshire was significant in helping shape its history and legacy within England as a whole. Their association helped strengthen its position as one of England’s most influential orders during medieval times, as well as providing valuable support to local communities throughout the region.
Archaeological Evidence of the Knights Templar in Lincolnshire
The Knights Templar were an influential order of Christian knights active from the 12th to 14th centuries. Their presence in Lincolnshire is evidenced by a variety of archaeological remains, ranging from castles and churches to gravestones and even graffiti. The Templars were known for their military prowess and their secretive nature, and many of their buildings and structures still stand today.
Lincoln Cathedral is one of the most significant surviving examples of the Templars’ work in Lincolnshire. There are several elements within the building that link it to the order, including a carved stone depicting two knights on horseback, thought to be a representation of two members of the Templar Order. The use of chevron patterns and interlace carvings on stonework also suggests a connection to the Knights Templar.
The ruins of Bolingbroke Castle in Lincolnshire are another example of Templar influence, as it was built by Henry de Lacy during his time as Grand Master of the English Templars in 1220 AD. The castle was constructed using traditional methods for its time, but with some unique features which suggest a Templar presence. These include the use of round towers at each corner rather than square ones, which may have been used as lookouts or vantage points for battle strategies.
The Templars also left evidence in villages throughout Lincolnshire, including Stixwould and East Keal. At Stixwould there is an effigy believed to be that of a knight who fought in one of King Edward’s campaigns against Scotland. It is thought that this knight may have been part of the Knights Templar order due to his position on the effigy – he holds a staff with a Maltese Cross at its peak – a symbol closely associated with the Templars.
In East Keal there is evidence that suggests that some members of the Templars were buried here after their disbandment in 1307 AD; an area known as ‘Temple Hill’ contains several gravestones bearing crosses similar to those associated with the order. This could indicate that members came here after they had been forced out or disbanded from other parts of England due to persecution by King Philip IV.
Finally, there are several examples throughout Lincolnshire where graffiti featuring symbols associated with the Knights Templar can be found carved into walls or rocks – most likely done by members passing through or living in these areas during medieval times. These symbols include crosses similar to those found on gravestones at Temple Hill, along with other designs like swords and shields which point towards a possible connection between these locations and members or former members of the Knights Templar order.
Overall, archaeological evidence provides a fascinating insight into how influential this secretive Christian military order was during medieval times in Lincolnshire and beyond.
Temple Bruer is the most famous Knights Templar location in Lincolnshire. It is said to have been founded by the Knights Templar in 1160. The site was a preceptory, or administrative center, for the order and housed a chapel and other buildings associated with its activities. Today, the ruins of these buildings are still visible. The site is now owned by English Heritage and is open to visitors.
Temple West Torrington
Temple West Torrington was another preceptory of the Knights Templar located in Lincolnshire. It was founded in 1185 and remained active until 1307 when it was dissolved by King Edward I. The ruins of a chapel can still be seen at the site today. It has been suggested that this preceptory may have once been part of an outer ring of fortifications designed to protect Lincoln from attack.
Bolingbroke Castle was another important Knights Templar location in Lincolnshire. The castle was built by Henry II around 1140 as part of his campaign against Scotland. During the 12th and 13th centuries, Bolingbroke Castle became an important center for the order and its activities in the area. Today, much of the castle still stands, though it is no longer in use.
The cathedral at Lincoln was another important location connected to the Knights Templar in Lincolnshire. In 1231, Pope Gregory IX granted permission for the Order to use part of this cathedral for their own purposes. As a result, a portion of the cathedral’s crypt became known as “The Temple” and served as an administrative center for local Templars until its dissolution in 1312.
In addition to these four sites, there are several other locations connected with the Knights Templar that can be found throughout Lincolnshire.
The Knights Templar were a powerful and influential military religious order that was founded in 1119. They were active until their disbandment in 1312, and their legacy can still be found throughout Lincolnshire. The Templars had a major presence in the county, with numerous castles, churches and other buildings having been built by them. These buildings are testament to the power and influence of the Templars during their time in Lincolnshire.
One of the most significant sites associated with the Knights Templar is Temple Bruer, which is located near Louth. This was one of the earliest strongholds of the order, and it includes a chapel dedicated to St Mary Magdalene as well as a number of other structures. The site is believed to have been founded around 1185, and it served as an important base for the Templars until their dissolution in 1312.
Another important site associated with the Templars is Temple High Grange. This was another stronghold for the order, located near Metheringham. The site includes a chapel dedicated to St John as well as a number of other buildings. It was founded around 1235 and remained an important base for the Templars until their dissolution in 1312.
In addition to these two strongholds, there are numerous other sites associated with the Templars throughout Lincolnshire. These include churches dedicated to St Thomas Becket at Sleaford and Tattershall Castle near Woodhall Spa; both of which were built by or connected to members of the order. There are also various other sites such as Blyborough Priory near Gainsborough; which was founded by a member of the Order in 1230; and Frieston Castle near Rippingale; which was built by a member of the Order in 1250. All these sites serve as reminders of how powerful and influential the Knights Templar were during their time in Lincolnshire.
The legacy of the Knights Templar can still be seen throughout Lincolnshire today. Their presence can be felt at many sites throughout the county, from castles to churches; all providing evidence that this powerful military religious order once held sway here during medieval times. Their legacy serves as an important reminder of how influential they were during this period and how important their role was in shaping our history.
Notable Members of the Knights Templar in Lincolnshire
The Knights Templar were one of the most powerful and influential military orders during the Middle Ages. They were formed in the 12th century to protect Christian pilgrims traveling to the Holy Land. During their heyday, they had a significant presence in Lincolnshire, England. Here are some of the most notable members of the Knights Templar in Lincolnshire:
Sir Robert de Ros was a prominent member of the Knights Templar in Lincolnshire. He was appointed as Grand Master of England and fought alongside King Edward I at the Battle of Falkirk in 1298. He was also instrumental in negotiating a truce between Edward and King Philip IV of France, which ended many years of warfare between them.
Sir John de Havering was another important figure during this period. He served as Grand Master from 1320 until his death in 1338 and is credited with reforming and strengthening the order during his tenure. He also was responsible for establishing numerous monasteries throughout England, including one at Rochford near Lincolnshire.
Sir Hugh de Payens was one of the original nine knights who founded the Order of Knights Templar in 1118. He held various positions within the order throughout his lifetime, including being its first Grand Master from 1118-1136. During his time as Grand Master he established numerous houses across Europe, including several in England, such as those at Coggeshall and Temple Bruer near Lincolnshire.
Sir William de Stuteville was another influential member who served as Grand Master from 1281-1291 and again from 1294-1300. He fought alongside King Edward I during his campaigns against Scotland and Wales and is remembered for helping to secure numerous victories against these opponents.
These four individuals are just a few examples of some of the most prominent members of The Knights Templar who had an impact on Lincolnshire during Medieval times. Their legacy lives on today through their contribution to English history and culture that continues to be remembered throughout Europe today.
The Knights Templar of Lincolnshire played an integral part in the region’s history. As a monastic military order, their presence was both welcomed and feared by the local populace. Through their efforts, they defended the county from foreign invaders and fortified its defenses. The Templar also provided essential services such as providing food for the poor, shelter for travelers, and funding for public works projects. Although the Templars were eventually disbanded, their legacy lives on in the form of churches and other monuments dedicated to them across the county. Even today, many people remember with fondness the contributions of these brave knights.
The Knights Templar of Lincolnshire were an important part of medieval life in England and beyond. Without their courage and dedication, many aspects of our present-day culture would be very different indeed. We owe them a debt of gratitude for all that they have done to make our lives better today.