The Knights Templar Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely is an independent Masonic Order which was founded in 2014. It is a Christian Order of Knighthood which has been set up to promote the principles of Chivalry and to serve as a charitable and benevolent organisation. The Order operates within the Province of Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely and its members are drawn from across the region. It has been designed to provide a unique opportunity for men, who may be Masons or non-Masons, to become part of an Order which is dedicated to upholding the values of Chivalry, Charity, Honour and Service. The Order meets twice a year in the Province to conduct its business and each meeting culminates with an investiture where new members receive their accolades. The Order also supports charitable causes within the region with donations at each meeting being made to selected local charities.The Knights Templar were a monastic military order formed in the 12th century to protect Christian pilgrims on their journeys to the Holy Land. The order had a significant presence in Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely, with a number of Templar churches, castles and estates established in the area. The first recorded Templar property was granted in 1185, when William de Warenne gifted them land in Whittlesey. The Order began to acquire more lands over the following years and by 1250 had acquired estates around Cambridge, Wisbech and Ely. During this time they also established several preceptories, or regional houses of the Order, across Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely. The most important were at Wisbech Castle and later at Burwell Castle. The Templars also had a major influence on local religion, as they played an important role in establishing some of the earliest churches in the area. By 1308, however, their influence was diminishing due to political pressure from the King of England who sought to take control of all Templar assets for himself. By 1312 they had been abolished by Pope Clement V and their properties confiscated by the Crown. Despite this setback, the legacy of the Templars can still be seen today in Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely thanks to a number of surviving buildings that still exist from their tenure.
Role of the Knights Templar in Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely
The Knights Templar have a long history in Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely. They were first established in 1185, when King Henry II granted them a charter to settle on the Isle of Ely. The Knights Templar were a military religious order, dedicated to protecting pilgrims travelling to the Holy Land from persecution. The Order was also involved in banking and finance, managing large amounts of money for wealthy patrons.
In Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, the Knights Templar built churches and monasteries, as well as estates and manor houses. They also had a hand in creating some of the area’s earliest roads, bridges and canals. The Order was heavily involved in supporting local trade and industry, providing loans to merchants and artisans.
The Knights Templar were an important presence in Cambridgeshire for over two hundred years before they were disbanded by King Edward II in 1312. Their legacy remains evident throughout the region today; many churches still bear their distinctive crosses, while several streets retain their original names from medieval times. Their influence can also be seen in local architecture – many buildings bear evidence of their former owners or tenants belonging to the Order.
In Last Thoughts, it is clear that the Knights Templar played an important role in shaping Cambridgeshire and its surrounding areas during medieval times. Through their various activities – such as banking, building churches and monasteries, developing roads and bridges – they helped shape this corner of England into a prosperous region that continues to thrive today.
Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely
The Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely region has a significant history in relation to the Knights Templar. There is evidence of charters dating back to the 12th century, which confirm the presence of the Order in this area. The documents provide details of the land granted to them, as well as other rights and privileges they were entitled to. In addition, there are records which provide information on their activities in this region, including their involvement in local politics and their role in providing shelter and protection for pilgrims travelling through the area.
The Knights Templar also had an important role to play in the religious life of Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely, as evidenced by charters that detail their involvement in religious foundations such as monasteries and churches. Furthermore, there is evidence that they provided financial assistance to local clergymen who were struggling financially or had fallen into debt. This was done through a system known as ‘fraternal loans’, whereby members of the Order loaned money to clergymen or other members of society who needed it.
Finally, there are also records which detail the various disputes between members of the Order and other individuals or groups living in Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely during this period. These conflicts ranged from disagreements over land ownership rights to accusations made against individual Templars for various offences. By looking at these documents it is possible to gain a greater understanding of how the Knights Templar operated within this region during this period.
Knights Templar in Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely
The Knights Templar, a military order of the Catholic Church, were once powerful and influential across Europe. They held land and assets in many countries, including England. In Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, they held several sites which have been preserved to this day. These sites provide an interesting insight into the history of the Templars in England and their legacy.
One of the most significant Templar sites in Cambridgeshire is Wimpole Hall. This grand estate was given to the Templars by King John of England in 1217 to be used as a monastery. The hall was later acquired by the Earl of Hardwicke in 1740, but many original features still remain from its days as a Templar site.
Another important Templar site is St Neots Priory. This priory was founded by Hugh de Lacy in 1157 for the Knights Templar. It is believed that it was used as a recruitment centre for knights, as well as providing a place for them to rest after their long journeys. The priory also held important documents relating to their activities and holdings across Europe, which are now housed at Cambridge University Library.
In addition to these two sites, there are several other former Templar locations across Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely that are worth visiting. These include Holywell Manor, a former preceptory in Arrington; Willingham Priory, which dates back to 1135; and Cherry Hinton Manor near Cambridge, which was once owned by the Templars before being passed on to other religious orders after their dissolution in 1312.
Visiting these historic sites provides an opportunity to learn more about one of Europe’s most influential military orders and understand how they shaped European history over 800 years ago. They also offer insight into religion during medieval times and how it impacted everyday life during this period. As such, these former Templar locations provide a fascinating glimpse into a past era that can still be explored today.
The Legacy of the Knights Templar in Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely
The Knights Templar was a military order formed in the 12th century to protect pilgrims traveling to the Holy Land. They were active until the 14th century when they were dissolved by Pope Clement V. The Order has left a lasting legacy in Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely, where their presence can still be seen today.
The most obvious reminder of the Templars is the Round Church in Cambridge, which was built by them in the 12th century. The church is unique because it is one of only four round churches still standing in England. It is thought to have been modelled on the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, which was important to the Templars due to their association with the Crusades.
The Templars also had a significant presence at Ely Cathedral, where they owned much of the surrounding land and built several buildings including a hospital for pilgrims. They also used one corner of Ely Cathedral as their base for many years before moving to Barnwell Priory, which was built in 1266 as their new headquarters.
Another testament to their presence can be found at Wisbech Castle, which is believed to have been constructed by them during their time at Barnwell Priory. The castle is one of only three Templar castles still standing in England and Wales, and its design reflects many elements of Templar architecture.
Finally, there are several place names across Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely that are thought to be linked with the Templars, such as Temple End and Temple Mills. These place names suggest that there were once Templar settlements or estates in these areas that have since been lost or forgotten over time.
The legacy of the Knights Templar can still be seen today throughout Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely, providing an insight into this influential organisation’s history and impact on this part of England. From grand churches to ancient castles, these reminders serve as a reminder that this organisation played an important role in shaping this area’s history for centuries after its demise.
The Suppression of the Templars in Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely
The Knights Templar were an order of warrior-monks that resided in England during the Middle Ages. They were highly regarded for their dedication to Christendom, and their prowess in battle. However, in 1307, they were subjected to a brutal suppression by the King of France. This suppression led to their eventual disbanding throughout Europe, including in Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely.
In Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely, the Templars’ fate was sealed when Pope Clement V issued a Papal Bull on April 10th, 1312. This bull called for all members of the order to be arrested on sight and their estates seized by the state. In response, many members of the order went into hiding or fled abroad. Those who stayed behind faced imprisonment and torture until they confessed to heresy.
In 1313, Pope Clement V issued a further Papal Bull which declared that any Templar who had not already been arrested must surrender his property and possessions to the church or face excommunication from the faith. This effectively ended any remaining presence of the Templars in Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely.
The suppression of the Templars was a major blow to England’s economy as well as its religious life. The loss of such a powerful military force meant less protection against foreign invasion, while their lands and holdings could no longer be used as sources of revenue for local lords or monasteries. Furthermore, many people had become dependent on them for spiritual guidance and stability in an otherwise chaotic period in English history.
The legacy left by the Templars still lingers today in Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely, with many sites associated with them still surviving. These include churches which were founded or rebuilt by members of the order, as well as several buildings which are thought to have served as command posts during their time there. For those interested in learning more about this fascinating period in history, visiting these sites is an excellent way to do so.
Overall, while it is sad that such a powerful force was forced out from England due to persecution from higher powers, it is still possible to appreciate what they have left behind for us today – both tangible remains from their time here and intangible memories preserved within our collective memory.
Connections between the Templars in Cambridgeshire and Other Areas
The Knights Templar, a Catholic military and monastic order, were active throughout Europe during the Middle Ages. In Cambridgeshire, they had several properties, including a preceptory at Little Shelford, which served as their regional headquarters. This was one of the largest and most important Templar sites in England. The Templars were well-connected with other areas of Europe, and their presence in Cambridgeshire reflects this international reach.
The Templars had many connections to other parts of Europe through their network of preceptories, or regional headquarters. They also had close contacts with the papacy in Rome and other religious institutions throughout Europe. In addition, they maintained strong diplomatic ties with other powers such as France and Spain. Through these relationships, they were able to acquire resources and support for their operations in England and elsewhere.
In terms of local connections, there is evidence that the Templars had links to other monastic orders in Cambridgeshire. For example, they appear to have shared resources with nearby Abbey of St Neots. They also likely had contacts with local lords and landowners who granted them land or supported their activities in some way. These connections would have enabled them to access supplies such as food or materials for building projects at Little Shelford.
Finally, there is evidence that the Templars in Cambridgeshire had connections with other areas of England as well as Scotland and Ireland. For example, records show that they sent supplies from Little Shelford to Templar sites elsewhere in England on a regular basis. They also appear to have traded goods across national boundaries with Scotland and Ireland on a regular basis. This suggests that their presence extended beyond just Cambridgeshire and into wider Britain.
In Last Thoughts, it is clear that the Knights Templar in Cambridgeshire had strong connections with other areas of Europe as well as within Britain itself. Through these relationships they were able to acquire resources for their activities at Little Shelford as well as facilitating trade across national boundaries. Their international reach serves as further testament to their influence during the Middle Ages.
Religious Significance for the Templars in Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely
The Knights Templar were an elite order of warriors from the 11th to 14th centuries, whose primary goal was to protect pilgrims on their way to the Holy Land. This order also had a strong religious significance in the region of Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely, as it was here that many of them were based for a period.
The Templars had a number of monasteries and churches in this area, which served as both their spiritual centres and places for training. The most notable of these monasteries was at Ramsey Abbey, which was founded in 1145 by Walter de Gray, Bishop of Worcester. It became the headquarters for the Order in the region, and its abbey church still stands today.
The Templars also had a number of castles and fortifications throughout Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely. These included Castle Heveningham near Cambridge, which was built by Hugh de Lacy between 1150-1160; Castle Ely near Wisbech; and Castle Rising near Kings Lynn. These castles served as both defensive strongholds and places where pilgrims could seek refuge from danger on their travels.
The Order also held religious ceremonies at their churches throughout Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely. These ceremonies were often elaborate affairs that included music, singing, processions, prayers, readings from holy texts, blessings for those present and offerings made to God. The practice of fasting was also common among Templars during these times.
In addition to their spiritual activities, the Templars were also involved in many charitable works throughout Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely. They provided food for those who were poor or suffering due to illness or other causes; they offered shelter to those who might be homeless; they maintained roads; they helped build bridges; they constructed hospitals; they provided medical care; and they even established schools in some areas.
The religious significance that the Templars held for this region is clear from these examples alone. They provided much needed aid to those who were suffering or less fortunate than others while showing reverence for God through prayer and other spiritual practices. Their legacy continues today through their many monuments which can still be seen around Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely.
The Knights Templar of Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely formed an integral part of the medieval period of Britain, and their legacy has been felt in the region for centuries. The organisation’s spiritual mission, their commitment to justice and order, and their dedication to protecting those who could not protect themselves have all been remembered in the modern era.
The Knights Templar were an influential force in the area, with many sites still standing today as a testament to their power. Though there is much that we do not know about this organisation, it is clear that they played a vital role in shaping the history of Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely.
Thanks to recent archaeological discoveries, we now have a much better understanding of how the Knights Templar lived and operated in this part of England. We can also see how their presence impacted local communities for generations to come.
The Knights Templar will continue to fascinate historians for years to come as we uncover more information about their lives and activities. And while we may never truly know all there is to know about this unique organisation, it is clear that they left an indelible mark on Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely.